8 NIGHTS IN GREECE | PART 2
If you're jumping into part 2 but haven't caught part 1 [ ATHENS ] check it out here...if you're caught up, welcome back!
much like many other recognized tourist destinations, there are sides that aren't well highlighted and though it's hard to say this, i was completely underwhelmed by my first sights of santorini. the island was much larger than i anticipated and quite vast, dry and 'not what you see in the photos'. i felt a level of guilt when those thoughts crossed my mind, riding in the hotel transfer to my first spot in oia. as you can imagine, those feelings quickly subsided when i gave myself a punch in the gut and got over myself.
Though the island's population floats around 10,000 people, they are expected to see 12 Million tourists this season (about 7 months of the year) if that doesn't surprise you, i'll need you to go back and read that again... remember that patience plug in part 1? i'd suggest you re-read that too.
i can easily say that the tips provided in part 1 carry over to santorini, but here are some pointers, i wish i was [ and probably a number of other first timers ] had known ahead of time.
- get your pedometers ready! cuz you gon' be steppin! literally. when i tell you there were days i was tracking 82 flights climbed, i was tracking 81 more flights than i typically climb a day. if you're planning to stay off the beaten path and avoid the cliffside hotels or attractions, you'll be fine. but you'll also miss out. the cliffside stairs down to amoudi bay are short, deep, steep. and covered in shit. if it starts raining, you don't want to be caught on the steps.
- with that...please do not ride the donkeys or horses. do your research. it's a sad story.
- if your hotel offers a transfer to and from the hotel to the port / airport, take it. for those staying along the caldera and cliffs, they will likely bring you to a common drop off to meet your bag boy who will beast-mode your luggage over his shoulder and haul it to your hotel which is also a 10 minute walk..
- it's warm...but breezy. i don't know about you but a nice stroll of sightseeing loses it's appeal when you're constantly tugging at a dress that's flying in the wind, flashing here there and everywhere. just sayin...biker shorts?
- research the location of your accomodations...there are some killer spots further into the island....but be prepared to rent an atv, car or service to get you around.
- I used Booking.com [ not an ad! but hook me up, I'm open to it ] for a number of my travel choices on this trip. Since I already have a hard time making decisions without regret, the ability for 'Free Cancellations' allowed me to opt out of previous reservations after doing more browsing and lock in other locations.
OIA [ SANTORINI ]
Arrived By // olympic air (ATH > SAN)
// Transfer shuttle bus & bag boy courtesy the hotel
Stayed At // OIA MARe VILLAS NEAR AMOUDI BAY
location is key...
Located at the furthest tip of Oia, the most desired location for sunsets on Santorini, Oia Mare Villas proved to be a spectacular choice for a personal view of lil' baby Jesus working his magic.
top pitstop // passagio...iced espresso and breakfast bowl! please and thank you!
Must visit // isle of saint nicholas by the way of Amoudi Bay
before you go
Show up in your swimwear and maybe even water shoes. Swim around to the south side of the island to head up to a landing point with enough running space to catapalt yourself off of the cliff, into crystal clear waters of the Aegean Sea!
Favorite Meal // grilled mussels and salmon salad at DIMITRIS AMMOUDI TAVERN
BEST VIEW // oias castle
There is a reason for an abundance of white and blue exteriors...not only representing the colors of the Greek flag; but white represents purity and blue symbolizes the sky and the sea.
Make Time To // appreciate the simplicity
favorite shop // atlantis book store
while you're there
Dig around. Pick up that collectible [ and put it right back if you don't have $4k ] Read the quirky notes. Chat with the associates. Support the small business!
swoonworthy souvenir // 'Self knowledge' from the school of life
DID I MISS SOMETHING YOU WERE HOPING TO READ MORE ON? LOOKING FOR MORE DETAILS ON ANY OF MY FAVORITES OR MUST STOPS ABOVE? FEEL FREE TO LEAVE A COMMENT OR EMAIL BELOW AND VISIT MY INSTAGRAM PAGE @ECLECTICPRODIGY FOR MORE IMAGES AND HIGHLIGHTS FROM THIS LEG OF THE TRIP.
I'LL BE POSTING PART 3 (fira) OVER THE NEXT COUPLE WEEKS ALONG WITH A FEW OTHER FUN POSTS LIKE '5 INTERIOR COLOR STORIES INSPIRED BY THE STREETS OF GREECE'. and don't forget to check out part 1 (Athens) here!